Friday, January 29, 2016

Can you do Trim Healthy Mama gluten free?

My answer to this question is a resounding yes. While Trim Healthy Mama isn't a gluten-free diet (sprouted breads containing gluten are "on plan"), it is very easy to be gluten-free on THM.

In fact, people who are already gluten-free might find that the transition to THM is easier because they've already given up many of the blood-sugar spiking foods that contain gluten (pastas, breads, cookies, crackers, etc).

Can you do Trim Healthy Mama™ gluten free?


I began eating gluten-free years ago when lab tests confirmed an allergy to wheat. I began my THM journey only a couple of months ago.


Pictured: a gluten-free Dutch baby pancake, Trim Healthy Mama fuel type "S"

I keep things very, very simple in my Trim Healthy Mama gluten free diet. I don't scout for on-plan gluten-free breads or crackers or bake complicated recipes. I find that I don't miss bread, crackers and such, and giving up gluten-free bread was probably helpful in my weight loss, because I often craved bread before THM. While I was better off on a gluten-free diet than before, I still craved carbohydrates and sugar, which was a struggle.

One of the reasons I love Trim Healthy Mama so much is that because of it, I was able to kick my lifelong addiction to sugar. 

Since gluten-free breads often contain starch (tapioca, rice starch, potato flour, etc), they cause a blood sugar spike, which leads to a vicious cycle of craving. Many of the gluten-free products I used to purchase were delicious, but they were making me gain weight. No thanks!

The Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook has several gluten-free bread recipes in its pages, and dozens and dozens more gluten-free muffins, cakes, pies, candies and more.

There is even a Trim Healthy Mama "Allergen Free" Facebook group. It has dozens of files with recipes, tips, product recommendations and more, as well as many members who are gluten-free (and who have other allergies as well).

I don't need toast with my eggs, but I do enjoy a gluten-free Trim Healthy Mama muffin or Bust a Myth Banana Cake or Banana Nut muffin or French Toast in a Bowl or Volcano Mud Slide muffin, all of which are far healthier and much more filling than gluten-free bread anyway! (All those recipes are available in the Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook.)


I don't need to sandwich my tuna or lunch meat inbetween slices of bread. I like to add more veggies to my plate, so I eat my tuna with cucumbers or in yellow or red bell peppers, or roll up slices of deli meat around pickles, sauerkraut or cheese. Or, I wrap all the ingredients in a large piece of Romaine lettuce. Delicious!

For dinner? My family doesn't eat pasta, but we love lasagne made with spinach or zucchini instead of noodles. I even bought an inexpensive vegetable "spiralizer" so I could make zucchini noodles that are delicious in recipes that traditionally contain pasta. And of course, we eat brown rice with our "E" meals.

Note: the Trim Healthy Mama Baking Blend is gluten-free, and so are many of the other baking flours available in the THM store.

No comments:

Post a Comment